Thursday, June 01, 2006

Life's lessons or Donkey boy

I guess in poker, just like life, you can have a breakdown. Well Tues the 30th, I had a breakdown. I was getting ready to go camping and just had to play a few hands. I got on Px at a $200 table with only $80. This is not like me, I follow bankroll protocol almost to the point of being anal about it. (Stop with the anus thoughts fags. lol.)I don't know what my issue was. Plus I didn't buy in for the max, which is another of my rules. I just don't know. I'm thinking that poker is a life-long career and in a year I can look back and laugh. Hopefully I've grown a lot in a year. I think my goal is going to be to double my previous year's earnings every year. Does this sound like a good goal? Makes sense to me. I made $200 last year. So I'm crushing that record so far this year. Hopefully, this continues.

OK, back to my donk hand at the $200NL table. (Oh, I forgot to mention it.) I am totally embarrassed about it. I almost didn't even write about it, because it is so bad. But I told myself that I would be honest in my blog and that is what I've been as of yet. Plus, like I already alluded to, next year at this time I should be able to look back and laugh. (Right? LOL.) I haven't honestly done this donk move this year (UNTIL know), that is. I'll stop with the embarrassed pondering and stalling and just get it. (If you have any respect for my game, look away, wait for it, wait for it, ... now.)

I have AQ. (OK so far.) Flop comes As9s6d. (I have no spades. The plot thickens.) I bet pot and I get one fold and one call. (Not too bad, I think. My kicker's decent.) Turn (I don't remember exact card, we'll say - 2h.) He checks and I fire out a pot-size bet. He calls. (I'm a little more concerned now, but I still feel pretty good about my hand. I decide that if he checks the river I'll just check also.) River comes Qs. (Booya, is what goes through my mind as he bets 1/2 pot.) I raise allin for an additional $25 or so. (You figure it out yet?) He turns over A3s. You see,I don't feel bad that I lost this hand to the flush chaser.(Who, by the way had shit odds to call on every street.) I feel bad because all I saw was that Q - I didn't even look at the suit. Rookie mistake. I normally would have called that 1/2 pot bet, just not raised allin behind the flush. Really it's just that I spazzed out when I saw the Q. OK, I have bared my soul. (Come on next year's reminisce - I need a good laugh.)

Online Bankroll
-80.00
Total $2119.32

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

With the guy check-calling there was always a chance he was chasing, a chance he flopped small trips, and a chance he flopped 2 pair, or just the weak Ace. That he check-called all the way before finally betting the river would make me suspicious too - suspicious that he'd be concerned that you'd check the danger card that came on the river. With so much out against you pushing a reraise on the river was a bad move... but it's one we've all made at sometime or another. Poker is so much easier when you sit and review hands compared to when you actually play em. ;)

ashmc2 said...

I know, but what I'm concerned with was the fact that I missed the flush even being on the board.
That's a huge mistake that I hope I don't repeat any time soon.
thanks for the support. later penn.

Anonymous said...

You could maybe try the four colour deck option? Those are much less easy to miss in green or blue