Friday, June 09, 2006

What Goes Up Must Come Down or Justa' Swingin'

I played around 4 hrs yesterday before work and basically took an ass-whippin’. I made some bad calls. Like calling a big raise on a paired board with only TPTK. (Top pair top kicker for those that don’t know the acronym.) Also made a few bad raises or calls when I was on tilt after losing a few big hands in a row. It was weird today, not really the slow grind that I’ve been having as of late, but lots of big hands.

I also think the Px players are of a different caliber, at least at my stakes, though I know Alex won’t agree. Yes you do get a lot of loose callers PF once you raise, but you also get people that slow play top pairs or just min-raise with them. This is something that I very rarely witnessed at these stakes on Party, Full Tilt, or UB.

Guy min-raised PF and I called with my TT. Flop comes AT6. He bet .25 like a dumbass. (Or maybe not. Lol.) So I raised to $1.50. He reraised me to $4, so I went allin, while I figured I was well ahead, because of the gay raise PF,but no, he had slow-played AA.

I also had a hand that put me on tilt, which happened shortly after the slow-played AA incident. I now have the AA in EP, and because you get so many callers raising to $2 PF, at .1/.25. I raised it to $3. I got what I was going for in only getting one caller. Flop puts the flush and the straight draw on the board, so I push hard with a pot sized bet. He raises allin, and has me covered. Yes, I know maybe making this call was pretty loose, but man it is hard to drop those rockets. Anyways I make the right call and he turns over a 86s and hits his flush on the river. (Tilt city.) At this point I donked off a few hands. This guy called 12xBB with junk-suited. Do any of you call a big raise with junk just because you know what I’m likely holding and you can easily throw it away post flop if it doesn’t hit hard? (Huh? Huh? Do ya? Do ya?)

I lost $90 today, but I’m still up $140 for the week. All in all, I’m pretty happy with where I’m at this week so far. That ain’t bad at these stakes.


Online Bankroll
-88.70
Total $2261.53

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty certain that - at WPEX - a handful of skilled are swimming in the $25NL and $50NL pool. I have seen them confidently play the strategy and reel in big re-raises and overbets from players sensing false weakness. I've also made that move myself - and you need to recognise when your plan has backfired. ;)

There may be an aside as well, at some - WPEX - tables you just can't shake the chasers... on ocassion I have intentionally declined the urge to attempt force out the drawer and instead simply called and taken a view on the hand once the turn and/or river land. Not ideal ABC poker I admit, but you have to try things out.

At other sites I usually play the $100NL games, but at WPEX the initial lack of games led me to the $25NL/$50NL tables. And I keep going back to those games because the overly aggressive nature of many players makes for better than average profits at those stakes.