Thursday, July 20, 2006

My First or The Mookie

I played the Mookie for the first time last night. This is a weekly tourney like the WWdN, which are both blogger tourneys on Stars. I plan to start playing in both of these tournaments on a weekly basis when able. I have been reading a few of these guys’ blogs for a while now and just recently started reading a few others. Most seem to be at a higher level of play than me, especially with tournament play, so I figured it would be in my best interest and fun to start playing with this group of bloggers.

Also I’ve decided to keep a running tally of my weekly stars earnings/losses. I think I might even add in a weekly tourney update so I can easily look back and watch my progress.

It didn’t turn out well at all for me in this first event. I got busted out in 37th. 50 started. I was playing rather tight, with a few steals thrown in, due to my table image. I was really surprised at how tight the players at my table were. There were usually only 2 to 3 in each hand. I also didn’t encounter any limping, min-raisers. (You hear that Greb!) I blinded down a little ways and dropped a few limps to raises or flop bets, but overall I didn’t get involved in any hands for the first 30 min. I then won a few small hands to put me up to 1400 again.

Then I get AJ s in MP. The blinds are 25/50. I try to limp. He raises it up to 3xBB. I call. Flop comes T62. I check with intentions of check-raising here to anything less than a pot-sized bet. He min-raises. I throw out a big raise fully expecting him to drop. But no, he pushes and I fold, leaving me 550 or so in chips. I really don’t know how I feel about my play here. The blinds were going up in a few minutes. I’m pretty sure I’m beat here but I likely have 2 overs. I don’t know, I probably should have called allin here. (Especially considering that it ended few hands later anyways.) I know I probably played this hand a lot more passive than most. Some people would bet with this hand in MP with it folded around to them. I don’t know. I’m likely being results oriented here but the results sucked, damn it.

I made it to the SB and find K6 suited. It is folded around to me. I push and to my dismay am called. The BB turns over QQ. Son-of-a. No K and I log off and go my ass to bed with dreams of what if.

I had it all pictured when I registered. I would make it to the final table and they would start typing in the chat box, questions about who was this masked man. And then I would knock everyone out one by one with amazing moves that left the remaining players spellbound as they waited in terror for their own inevitable demise. (Oh yea, did I mention that I freebased some crack while I was registering for the game.) Delusions of grandeur - aren’t they fun.

Later.

No comments: