Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A Call to Arms or Ouch - The Smackdown

Last night I played 2 hrs. I lost a whole buyin on one hand, but otherwise I played dead even poker, other than rakeback that is. I don’t know what my rake is for the week so far because Px is updating their system, and the rake hasn’t updated this week yet.

The reason why I started this blog was to help me think through problems and watch my progress. If you ever think I am wrong or you have something to add to my posts, please, I really want your help. That is how we are all going to grow in our games. I lost a big hand last night, that I think I played wrong. (Donkish, if you will.) Sadly with this hand I didn’t write anything down and I don’t exactly remember the betting sequence. So I’m sure I can’t give you enough info to help me in this hand, with how I could do it better.

OK, here’s the hand. 2 PR vs flush draw on the flop. Basically he only had to call $50 dollars at the end of our betting war to make $150. He has a flush draw and only needs 2 to 1 on his money. I gave him 3 to 1. He drew out on me and I went to bed felling like shit.

I know without giving you the particulars you can’t help with this hand. But I guess I’d like to make this post a call to arms. We need to start leaving comments with our thoughts on each others’ blogs. We will help each other grow that way. If you don’t feel comfortable, you don’t have to participate, no big deal. But I read you guys’ blogs daily and I am going to start leaving my thoughts if you don’t mind. Anyone that maybe reads this blog that has a blog that isn’t in my sidebar, let me know. I will add it and start reading it. I think this will be nice if everyone follows though with my evil plan.

I think I will also start posting more on the forums again. I really want to start filling in some of my leaks. The big ones that I have right now are learning the odds better. Getting them to memory and using them proficiently. Also my passivity is freaking killing me. I need to transition from the tight/weak/passive player to tight-aggressive. Nothing worse than check-calling to the river and watch your Q’s go down to J’s with a river J added, because you let the other guy stay the aggressor in the hand on a low board. If I’m willing to call anything he raises I need to start reraising. Huge leaks in my game guys. Later.

Online Bankroll
-$100.00
Total $2847.55

5 comments:

MarkGreb said...

Flush draws are tough.

Some players just won't fold on the flop no matter how much you raise due to the implied odds if you're not all-in.

As to the QQ vs. JJ you want people betting into you with only 2 outs.

It's a really good feeling when they don't draw out on you.

ashmc2 said...

I don't know about the QQ situation - I just felt like I gave it to him. Maybe I am being results oriented.

Anonymous said...

your bankroll is still growing
even with the jump in levels great job thrash

ashmc2 said...

I agree with mark if in fact I knew that he had JJ, which I didn't. But that was what he was talking about. Then I raise a big value bet on the river, if he didn't hit his 2 outer.

I really wish I had a lot more aggression in my game. I am working on it. I agree that I should have reraised PF and then post flop. He probably would have called or reraised me at some point with such a low board. I would have likely made the crying call to his reraise allin likely, if that is what ended up happening.

MarkGreb said...

Same result. :)

It would just change the JJ 2 post-flop mistakes into larger mistakes which you'd still payoff.

Problem I have is with your checking.

Why wouldn't you lead out with a bet on the flop and turn?

You're getting no info post-flop at all.

You could be an underdog to AA-KK , a set, or two pair of rags.

Especially with an overpair to the board you'll get calls from top pair which you are a large favorite to win.