Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A Moment of Thought and Reflection.

I will not play tonight. My wife was mad at me last night. I can home from work at 7pm and got right on the computer. I didn’t really even talk to her and the kids – just a comment here and there. I ate my supper at the computer while playing cards. I played till 9:30pm, got off, took a bath and read a book for ½ an hr, and went to bed. When I got out of the tub Ash-wife and the kids were already in the bed. When I slid into bed, my wife distantly and somberly told me how that made her feel. Honestly I didn't even realize that I was being distant and selfish with my time. It didn’t even dawn on me. I'm dumb like that sometimes. For someone that watches everything at the table, you would think that I'd be a very observant person. I do empathize with her and see it from her perspective. So tonight I will come home, put poker out of my thoughts, and spend the remaining evening with the family. (Like I should.)

It is weird how sometimes things, that once pointed out to you, seem so obvious, yet you can be to totally oblivious to it without help. It is called hindsight bias. I will have to think about how my poker affects my family and not just blindly jump on the computer the moment that I walk in the door. It makes it seem like they come second in my mind. So I will try to play most of my poker these next days off after everyone hits the hay.

Just a little food for thought. This is a side of online poker that isn’t discussed often; probably because we subconsciously don’t want to admit that we are sometimes neglecting our duties in life. It is actually a sign of addiction. I do know that I’m not addicted or at least not too bad anyways. I don’t play every waking hr or anything such as that. I also often take multiple days off and do other things. So check yourself and make sure the next time you get on, that your priorities are where they should be. Also take a minute and empathize with you family and think how you are affecting them. Basically think about how others see you and how you make them feel. Make poker your hobby, not your life.

Later bad, bad Donkass out.

3 comments:

Dave said...

I confess that I'm guilty of that at times myself. Now I make a point of spending time with family first and then hit the computer later.

MarkGreb said...

Sorry in advance for my comments - I just don't take anything seriously.

Having a family is very -EV to the poker bankroll.

And dudes don't take baths!

ashmc2 said...

LOL, tard.