Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Inward Thinking

Talking with my dad last night after work really helped me think and focus. And hopefully improve my current game and play standard. It helps to regularly analyze the way you are playing, skill level, and what is presently motivating you to play a particular way. I have gotten away from doing that. And nothing helps better than another perspective. It is a proven fact that we have a hard time being candid with ourselves, especially about faults and thus askewing self-concept. I started telling about some of the mistakes that I am making. The bad plays that are keeping me from making the money that I should be making. Just throwing away money from my bottomline on frivolous mistakes. When I told him about the QQ re-reraise allin, he knew something was amiss. I think he was spot-on with his conclusion. I am playing the catch-up game, wanting to win my bankroll back quickly, instead of the natural slow progression that got me that original roll in the first place. Making the dumb calls and questionable big bluffs. (The over-bluff, that is total over-kill, and likey is the whole reason that the guy calls in the first place. You know the kind; it sends out the BS vibe strongly.) The QQ allin against aggression is level 1 poker at best. Unless you have a read, IMO, never re-reraise or bet a large portion with Q’s, AK, or lower when the other guy is showing that he wants to rock. You’re likely a 4:1 dog in the hand or lower. Just take the hint and wait for a better position. If you got bluffed so be it.

Now that we have discussed it, I feel that his assessment is likely the crux of my current bad play issues. I want my roll back to the point of near desperation. Converse to the scared money syndrome, in catch-up mode, you are over-willing to get your chips in the middle. Even with marginal holdings, hoping for the big paydays that will rapidly increase the almighty roll. Though both hamper your bankroll building efforts, catch-up is more detrimental to your roll and overall natural game/skill progression, due to the negative self-esteem/reliance issues associated with big swings and big losses. Negative thoughts about your play and skills isn’t good for anything. When you are relaxed and confident in your game, that is when you are using your skills to their utmost; that is when a winning player will make money in the long-term. I know I am a winning player, with a large enough sample timeframe this year to prove it. I just have to get back on track and play my game. Ok, enough with the self-motivation therapy.

No comments: