Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The All-nighter or Dumb Bluffs

I put in a all-nighter last night. I played close to 1400 hands. I had some pretty big swings. I was up and then down like 3 times over the evening.

My big problem was bluffing. Sometimes when I missed my hand I was so sure that I could get an opponent off their hand. Often last night I was wrong on my read. This skill is truly an art. One I need to hone, that is certain. One big bluff that I got caught in cost me $75 and I never even made it to showdown.

On the other end of the spectrum, I made some tough calls and was right in my reads. I picked off a few stone-cold bluffs and a few semi-bluffs. I don't know which one is the bigger high, the bluff or picking one off. I guess there has to be give and take, but I hate giving away my money.

Here's 1 call that I made. It wasn't real big but he did make a nice move.

I have AQ and 3 of us limp to the flop of Q92. Check, check, ann I make it $3. Both call. Turn 5. Check, check, and I bet $9. 1 caller. River is a 2. He bets out $21. I'm pretty scared now. He leading out on just the river gives the impression of him letting me bet his monster the whole way and then value betting the river just in case I decided to check behind him. It's only a pot-sized raise so I deside to make a call with my TPTK on a paired board. Turns out that he has JTo and was bluffing with his busted straight-draw. It looked like a stop and go play.

Online Bankroll
+$76.36
Total $2688.29

No comments: