Wednesday, December 20, 2006

It Makes A Daddy Proud

I have been sitting with Ash-boy, who is 11, in my heated deer blind, with my bow. I haven’t even been hunting real hard this year. I have maybe sat 6 times now and it is already 2 and ½ months into bow season. I only have 2 weeks to go. Funny story, for those with a sense of humor, and aren’t Dr. Spock liberal nuts that love the FCC and the like. (Quick factoid: Dr Spock’s son committed suicide. I just find this funny – this guy writes a book telling the world how to raise their kids, yet obviously there must be some flaws in his techniques.) Let me set it up a little real quick. I let my kids cuss a little bit. It doesn’t bother me that much. They know that they aren’t allowed to cuss at school or in front of grown-ups. (If you think your kid doesn’t curse when they are with their friends – you have blinders on.) Anyways, I have a huge doe come in right before dark. I tap the boy and tell him that a deer is coming in. I grab my bow. I am shooting whatever comes in. This is the first deer that I have seen all season and it is going down – buck, doe, or fawn. It’s time for some jerky. The doe comes in and Ash-boy whispers it’s a big one daddy. I wait for a broad-side shot. There she turns, opening up those vitals for me. I draw back and let it go. Thwack. It hits her hard. (Actually I double-lung her, plus it went thru the heart also.) She tucks and runs. Ash-boy shouts loudly and all excited, “You smoked that motherfucker daddy!” I said wo boy calm down over there. Watch your mouth. But I couldn’t help laughing at his statement. It kind of brought a tear to my eyes. I was there for my boy’s first motherfucker.

No comments: