Monday, December 25, 2006

Introspective retrospection

I found an old journal from early last year, I think. It is funny as hell. This is when I first started thinking about how to improve my game. I decided that I would write down all the hole cards that I was seeing a flop with. I’m pretty sure that I was just limping with most of them. Hopefully anyways. I then started watching how often I won with these hands. I also started watching how often I was getting out-kicked. I also tracked which hands I lost big pots with and what beat me in those hands. Getting better at poker is a process just like any other problem or system. You just have to keep an open mind and methodically work your way through. The genesis of my poker knowledge. It is pretty fun to get a glimpse back.

AA, AKo, AQo, AJo, ATo. AKs – A2s.

KK, KQo, KJo, KTo. KQs – K2s.

QQ, QJo, QTo. QJs – Q8s.

JJ, JTo. JTs – J7s.

TT – 22

All suited-connecters

Holy crap – no wonder I lost my first $75 playing the penny tables. Good thing I got serious and started logging my played hands. Oh, do you see how I only played suited hands from A9 down, K9 down. And real conservative (LOL) Q9s and Q8s and J9s – J7s, for the flush and straight possibilities. From the notes it looks like I pretty much played anything suited, all paint, and most cards over 8. Good stuff. I wish I would have written down my philosophies and strategies at that stage of my game. I’m sure it would be a fun and insightful read.

2 comments:

SirFWALGMan said...

Actually that hand set looks alot like Ed Millers starting hands for a loose limit holdem game (5-6 people seeing a flop).

ashmc2 said...

Thanks for the comment waffles.

I still catch myself playing some of that dumb shit.