Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I Almost Forgot – I Have Played Live a Few Times Lately.

The night before I left on my trip C called me and said that there a local game that was short and was looking for players. I of course I couldn’t turn it down even though I was leaving the Fam for a week. They were playing tourney style with rebuys before the start of the fourth round and no add-ons. They only wanted to buy-in for $10. Cheap game. That is why I like playing cash games. The rounds were overly slowly raised. We all started with like 2500 to 3000 in chips and blinds went like 10/20, 20/40, 30/60, 40/80, 50/100, 60, 120 etc. At least at those humble stake changes I was able to sit&swoop, sit&swoop. By the 4th round I was up nicely. I had hit a few nice hands and got some loose calls to showdown. The chip leader was a dude I’d never seen. He didn’t look up often and wore a chook (nit cap) although it was hot as shit in the house. He had accumulated all those chips and I noticed that he had never even went to showdown. He was aggressive at the right times. I was impressed because he had double the next largest stack. Finally at like level 7 we lost a player or 2. Numb-nuts finally had to showdown a hand. He had raised with 65o and kept betting it to the end. The chick beside me had called his bets the whole time with a paired king. Both had hit there pr on the flop. K’s vs 5’s to the river and he hit his 6 for 2 pr. She called and we got our first glimpse of his play. Within the next 2 or 3 rounds he had lost most of his stake and was one of the shorties. He then made a hell of a comeback. The shortie at the table doubles-up like 3 times in quick secession. He then bets hard PF. I push figuring that he will call. He does and my KK hold up and I am one of the biggies. Chook dude works his way back to top stack. Only 3 places pay. $75, $25, $10. Chook guy and I make it to HU with me having 2/3rds his stack. I go hyper-agro. He folds a bit and then fights back nicely. WE play forever. Then one hand gets ugly. I have 2pr and raise his flop bet and take control on the turn. He keeps calling. There’s a straight draw on the board. The river puts 4 cards to a straight on the board. He checks. I bet. He raises me hard. God don’t tell me this fag hit this crap straight. I won’t have much left if I fold. I call. He didn’t even have a pr. He was totally playing the player there. Maybe not, but he was playing that hand with the sole purpose of bluffing me off of it if he missed his flop. I have a nice chip lead but slowly lose way do to him pushing non-stop. I finally get KT and check hoping for the push. He bets hard instead. I push. He sits there forever. We had started at 8:30pm and it was 12:30am. He finally says that he would normally fold here but it was little. He turns over KJ and has a stranglehold on the hand. I make $15 bucks for my effort. I played well and put some moves on a few people. I think I already have these guys’ respect. Hopefully I get a callback. $10 tourneys suck, but at least it’s a change-up from my normal mundane cash games. Now that’s a freakin’ paragraph.

I played two mini cash games. 1st one I made $18. There were 4 of us all with $20. $18 ain’t bad. 2nd time at the mini cash game we play with a total of $80 and I win $3. not too bad considering that I was down to $5.50 once midway. 3rd game I lost $12.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, thought i would leave you a post as you dont seem to have much traffic, have read all your posts and i would like to give you some advice, you are not playing bad, in fact your worries about trips or two pair on the flop when you have a premium holding is not unjustified, i have gone bust more times this way than any other, the tip i would give you is increasing the preflop bet to drive out smaller holdings(pairs) which will eliminat your fears of trips, also junk holding will be forced to lay down,eliminating the chance of someone spawning two pair against you, you must ram and jam, this will depend on your table image at the time, what i mean is dont be cute with these hands, exert strength, your main fear by doing so is you will drive out all preflop callers, however you will find that if they do call then they definatly have a good hand, also if it is raised before you with a premium holding you have to reraise, large as well, take the pot down there and then, two things happen with big pairs, you win a small pot or lose a big one,also ram and jam them, so instead of making a pre flop raise to say 3 or 4 dollars, raise it to 6 or 8 dollars, this will mean they will lay down to you, if they call you will probaly get all there chips, if it does go to a flop, bet your bad boys all they way, come out hard and fast, take the pot down before they can drwa to a hand on the turn, the only time to lay down(to trips or two pair) will be if you get a big reraise, so example raise big preflop,get called, irrelevent of what the flop is big bet (at lease 2/3rds pot, preferably pot size, you will give them a max of 2/1 on there hand by betting the pot, if they call draing to a s8 or flush they are playing bad, and you will win there money eventually)if some dude reraises your big bet you have to think what does he have to reraise me? prob trips, from experience at the levels you play you will find that people rarely have the balls(or the bankroll) to reraise your continuation bet with absolutly nothing, if they call the bet, it means they are worring and prob have a pair themselves, if they do call then just slow right down on the turn(unless there is an obvious draw out there, if so bet the mother real hard, eventually the numptys will lay down or even better call trying to hit a flush which will only give them a max of 4/1) try and see the river for free, if they do bet, then call, they will probably sence weekness, and try and force you out, just try and see the hand out as cheaply as poss, you will win a lot more than you lose, also dude one last point, variance is a bitch, three months is nothing, you need to really play at least 100,000 hands( more like a million) before you can expect varience to even itself out. just remember all players get as many good hands as eachother eventually and of course all players get there fair share of bad hands, just keep faith in your self and what on earth did you do to the 5k you won last year? spent it i guess?

ashmc2 said...

TY, Ricky.

I will think about what you said.

5000, ohyea, I had some issues and spent the shit out of it. That is why I must move back up stakes again. That is also why I'm so worked-up with not being able to crush the micros. I used to.

Thanks again. I hope to start posting more often.

Anonymous said...

Dude you must read ex poker pro's latest blogs covers the above small micro stake games and why you are continualy losing, its because you are a better player, long story, check it out, will keep looking at your blog so keep posting

May all your flops be monsters!!!!

The Closer

Anonymous said...

LOL...Reminds me of a freeroll we played at a pool hall over by our house. It was full of fish and we were called "douche-bags" because we know how to raise preflop. Was massive chip leader without showing down a hand. Pushed 15 out s/f draw and bricked then went into auto push mode.

Anywayz, like the blog. We play similair stakes and I will read this regulary. I will add it to my blogroll.

http://ww