Sunday, June 11, 2006

CROSSROADS

This post started out as quick reply to Alex's comment to my previous post. And as I was writing it and it kept getting longer, I decided it was too big for the comments section. Plus, it is one of those fork-in-the-road items, and thus, should be a part of my blog. Decision time, people.

Originally posted by Alex - "Ash, why do you play the $25NL tables with a $2,500 bankroll? You could buy into a $100NL table for less than 5% of your money, and you would stand to make quicker progress if you have the skills."

It's purely a confidence issue Alex. I admit that. I have always been one to not jump up stakes too soon. Yes, I,ve always been one to wait too long. (Baby steps.) But you also have to realize that a month ago I had $2575 and was regularly playing $50NL and just starting to move into the realm of $100, when bang, in a 2 week period I lost $500 of my bankroll. That sent me into a negative spiral of poker depression. I had to get back into my comfort zone mentally. Also I've only just taken that $180 eggroll in FEB and turned it into this bankroll. I was afraid that maybe it was a fluke of good rush luck. (I do realize that's way too many hands to be luck and my game has to be the real reason. But $500. Damn.)

I was playing pretty solid poker most of the time during this downward swing. But I also donked off a lot too by Tilting - trying to buy my profits back with junk bluffs when the cards weren't going my way, and making bad calls thinking the game owed me a win.

I will start playing some $50NL this week and see how it goes. OK, I will play mostly $50 this week. We will see how everything goes. Because, I feel that your right, I am losing profits being a Sally. Time to step-up to the plate, dig-in, and find my sweet-spot.

So, thanks Alex for the kick in the ass. All future kicks welcome, just steer clear of the "Boys".

2 comments:

Wes said...

I used to have the same problem as you. I had a bankroll around yours, and all I would play were then were $11 SNGs, .50/1 limit, or $25NL. I was an idiot in that I would never move up, and suffered from the moronic syndrome of only playing for a bonus. My game suffered, and I was a break even player (at best).

Then, I stopped going over bonii so much, played the stakes that were suitable for my bankroll, and improve by studying the game more. Trust me when I say that you should try to move up as fast as possible. Stasis = death.

ashmc2 said...

Thanks for the comment Wes. I guess I'll have to put that stasis chamber out with the trash. Damnit I wanted to live forever.